I splurged and bought myself a Keurig about 9 months ago and I absolutely love it! It is so convenient not to have to make a pot of coffee each time I want a cup!
The manufacturer says to make sure that you use only distilled water to make the coffee to avoid buildup but this is where I ran into trouble! I used only bottled water and I still get buildup and water stains on the keurig.
I hate to use cleaners that contain those awful chemicals and to clean my keurig was going to be no different. Especially since those chemicals would be touching something I have to put in my mouth! So I came up with a very simple way to clean the Keurig and it took very little effort for great results!
How to clean your Keurig Naturally:
- Take your water basin (on the side where you fill with water) completely off the keurig. My model just lifts off of some hooks to pull apart.
- Drain any water that you may have in it still. I noticed when I pulled mine off that inside the little compartments and on the bottom of the water basin there were some pieces of old coffee (YUCK!!)
- Rinse this compartment out with water a couple times if you experience the same thing as mine with the old coffee.
- Take white vinegar and pour into water dispenser until it is about half full. I put the lid back on the water basin and shook the vinegar around a couple times to make sure it got vinegar on all the water stains.
- Put the Water basin back together with the Keurig and run a cup (largest size your keurig will do) with just vinegar. DO NOT PUT COFFEE IN THE CONTAINER! Just run the vinegar thru it.
- Now this is very important: Continue to run cups of vinegar through the keurig until it says add water on the display. I then filled the entire water basin up with water and continued to run cups until I no longer could smell any vinegar in the cup. *This took about 10 cups before it was completely gone*
- Thats it! If you look at your Keurig you should notice that it is a TON cleaner than before and your coffee will end up tasting better than ever!! 🙂