My daughter received an American Doll this year for her birthday and as she has collected clothing and accessories it became a problem trying to find a place to keep it all. I decided to make her a closet to keep it all picked up and organized for Christmas! This was actually a lot easier than what I expected and cost me about $25.00 total to make! She loved it and I love the fact that all the accessories are no longer sitting all over my house! 🙂
To make is actually really simple! Here’s How:
- 3 Shelf Book Shelf- I bought mine at Walmart but you can get one that is similar here on Amazon too Sauder Beginnings 3-Shelf Bookcase in Cinnamon Cherry
- 3 Small plastic containers-Sterilite 16428012 Storage Box, White Lid with See-Through Base, 12-Pack, 6-Quart
- 1 yard of Material- You choose what type and design. I used a fleece type material.
- 2- Curtain Tension Rods- 7/16″ Spring Tension Rod
- Doll sized hangers- LAVENDAR HANGERS-SET OF TWELVE FOR AMERICAN GIRL DOLL CLOTHES- 18 INCH DOLL CLOTHES
- Put together the bookshelf by directions in package.
- Measure out your fabric so that it will be wide enough to reach all the way across the bookshelf and that it will be long enough to cover your top shelf height. You can choose how tall you want each shelf to be based on your doll pieces! Add 2 inches of material to your height measurement so that you can sew a flap to place your curtain rod into. After you cut that you will want to measure half of the fabric and cut so that you have 2 curtains. You can also create tiebacks like mine by measuring out your desired width and length and holding to the shelf with a push pin. Mine were 3″ wide. I found the best way to sew the flap is to turn the material wrong side out and then stitch your line of sewing.
- Stretch out both your tension rods to fit inside the closet. I put one about half way back on the bookshelf to hang clothing on and then the other one goes in the very front of the shelf to hold the curtains.
- After sewing the flap in your curtains they are ready to go onto the tension rods and be push pined back to the side of the closet.
- Add in all your doll accessories and that’s it!!